Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Southern Buttermilk Cornbread

This is by far the best homemade cornbread recipe and I can guarantee you will love it! I personally think the secret in this recipe is to get the cast iron skillet good and hot before pouring the cornbread in.   Enjoy!

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups of cornmeal (I use White Lily Buttermilk enriched white cornmeal mix)
1/2 cup flour (White Lily all purpose)
1 egg
2 cups buttermilk
1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Put the oil in the cast iron skillet and place on medium-high heat on the stove.  Like I stated above it is extremely important to get your cast iron skillet really hot, almost smoking hot.

Next thing to do is put all ingredients into a bowl and blend them together but don't blend too much.  If you blend it like you are mixing up cake batter then it will make a big difference in the end result.  So, mix it but don't over mix it.

Once the oil in the cast iron skillet is hot take a tablespoon of the hot oil out and mix it in with the cornbread mixture.  After the oil is mixed in immediately pour the mixture into the cast iron skillet.  It will sizzle but this is normal, this is what it is supposed to do.  Immediately put the cornbread into the oven for about 20 minutes or so.

My mom does something right before the cornbread is done and that is to flip the cornbread over to get the top good and golden brown.  How to do this is pretty simple.  What I do is put a plate right on top of the cornbread in the cast iron skillet and carefully flip it over onto the plate then slide it right back into the cast iron skillet and back into the oven for about 10 more minutes.  I usually ask for help because the cast iron skillet I have is pretty heavy but it can be done by yourself! So, all in all this recipe might take 25-30 minutes.

If anyone has any questions do not hesitate to ask! :)  PS....I can't believe I just gave out this recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment