Monday, July 18, 2011

Homemade Blackberry Cobbler

When I was young one of my favorite things to do was to pick blackberries with my parents. We would then make homemade cobbler with our overflowing basket of blackberries.  This recipe that is near and dear to my heart.  It brings back the sweet memories of my childhood and I really hope you enjoy this.  I recommend serving this with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. 

Ingredients:

4 cups fresh blackberries 
1 tablespoon lemon juice 
1 large egg 
1 cup sugar 
1 cup all-purpose flour 
6 tablespoons butter, melted 
Whipped cream (optional) 
Vanilla Ice Cream
Garnish: fresh mint sprig
  
Preparation:

1. Preheat oven to 375°. Place blackberries in a lightly greased 8-inch square baking dish; sprinkle with lemon juice.

2. Stir together egg, sugar, and flour in a medium bowl until mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle over fruit. Drizzle melted butter over topping.

3. Bake at 375° for 35 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes. Serve warm with whipped cream, if desired. Garnish with fresh mint sprig, if desired.

For perfect portions for dinner guests, bake for the same amount of time in 6 (8-oz.) ramekins on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet.

Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and let the childhood memories consume you.  Enjoy!

Serves 6
Southern Living, July 2008

 

1 comment:

  1. This was so incredibly good! I had a mountain of wonderful strawberries on hand and substituted these for the blackberries. I followed the recipe exactly. It was so very quick and easy....no one would ever imagine how tasty it is!! I am keeping this one in my permanent recipe file to use with any fruit in season!!!!

    ReplyDelete