Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Spanish Chicken with Spicy Lemon Rice

Chicken brings lots of words to mind, at least for me. I think versatile, juicy, and CHEAP!! I am a chicken fanatic and I can prepare chicken breast, thighs, cutlets, even a whole dang bird a billion ways. I love how it is basically a blank canvas in the way that you can really just do what you want with it. I've got that bird mastered.

Go on and call me the master chef of chicken...go on...let me hear it. 

I'm still waiting..... 

The other night I knew I wanted chicken but I wanted to prepare it in a way I had not done so before. I browsed a few recipes and came across Spanish Chicken with Spicy Lemon Rice.  The Spicy Lemon Rice was something that really caught my eye because I have never put those words together. I was hesitant but holy canoli it was delicious and this dish would not be the same without this crazy combination of delicious flavors!



I was immediately drawn into this recipe not only because of the rice but the colors, ingredients, and just overall preparation. I mean, seriously, look at that picture! The thought of these ingredients coming together and making something so magical was making me drool...like a dog...seriously.


Okay...enough jibber-jabber....here are the ingredients! 


3 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon garlic powder
6 chicken thighs
1/4 cup canola oil
One 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes 
2 green bell peppers, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 onion, sliced into thick pieces
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup rice
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Zest and juice from 1 lemon
1/2 cup pitted green olives (with pimientos)
Special equipment: slow cooker and zester

Now for the preparation....

In a large zip-top bag, mix together the flour, paprika, garlic powder and some salt and pepper. Add the chicken and toss to coat completely.

In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat the canola oil. Add the chicken and brown on all sides, 3 to 4 minutes per side. While the chicken is cooking, head on over to the slow cooker and add the tomatoes, peppers and onions. Top that goodness with the chicken thighs.

In same skillet used to brown the chicken, add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the chicken broth and bring to a simmer, stirring to scrape any browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Pour over top of the chicken in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 4 hours, or until the chicken is extremely tender.

In a medium pot, combine 2 cups water, the rice, red pepper flakes, lemon zest, juice of half the lemon and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, until the rice is tender and has absorbed all the liquid.

To serve, spoon the rice onto a deep-sided platter and ladle the Spanish chicken and vegetables over top. Garnish with the olives and squeeze over the remaining lemon juice.

I hope you all enjoy this and I cannot wait to hear some feedback!







No comments:

Post a Comment